Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Turkey Burgers with Avocado Sauce





I picked up the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2009 Annual Recipes cookbook at the library. As soon as I started flipping through it I was excited. There are so many recipes that I want to try. For some reason, this one really stood out. This is strange for one reason. I am not a big fan of turkey. Growing up I was never that excited about Thanksgiving because we had to eat turkey. My dad feels the same way. We used to make gagging noises when people would start talking about the turkey. I was happy when my oldest sister moved out and started her own family because my dad and I were on even ground with my sister and mom. That meant no more turkey for Thanksgiving. We have been having prime rib ever since.
I saw all the ingredients that were going into the patty and the sauce looked good so I thought I would give it a shot. I bought extra lean turkey breast and whipped up dinner. I really loved the sauce so I figured the worst case was I could have a sauce sandwich. They actually turned out really well. They had tons of flavor and my husband said it was another winner. He was done with his before I even got half way through mine. I will definitely be making these again.


Turkey Burgers with Avocado Sauce
4 servings


1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
SAUCE:
1 medium ripe avocado, peeled
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 teaspoon salt
SERVING:
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split ( I used the Orowheat Sandwich Thins)
Shredded lettuce and reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, optional (did not add)
Sliced tomato and red onion, optional (did not add)

Directions
In a large skillet, saute the corn, onion and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the lime juice, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder and oregano; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four burgers. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
For sauce, in a small bowl, mash avocado with the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt. Refrigerate until serving.
If grilling the burgers(I cooked mine in a pan), coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
Place on buns; top each with about 1/4 cup sauce. Serve with the lettuce, cheese, tomato and onion if desired.
Nutrition Facts: 1 burger (calculated without optional toppings) equals 413 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 678 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 37 g protein.

No comments: