Thursday, September 11, 2008

Portobello Gravy

I am a fan of Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen from RealAge. I get a weekly newsletter on Email from RealAge with the newest health news and sometimes it includes recipes. When I saw this recipe
I was so excited. My husband and I try to eat healthy most of the time. We both love mushrooms so I thought this would be good. It was better than good, it was great! The first time we ate it I poured it over garlic mashed potatoes and a rotisserie chicken from Costco. It was a perfect meal. I had leftovers the next day so I added some fat free half and half. It made a delicious creamy mushroom soup. When you eat this you will be surpised that it is so good for you. If you ate the whole batch it would only be 350 calories. I highly recommend this.
Portobello Gravy
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 each medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups chopped cleaned portobello mushrooms (2 medium)
2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
3 tablespoons tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon crumbled dried sage
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they begin to release their juices, about 10 minutes.
2. Add broth, tamari (or soy sauce), thyme and sage; simmer for 10 minutes. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir into the sauce and simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes more. Season with pepper. If you prefer a smooth gravy, pass it through a fine sieve (discard mushrooms and onions). Serve hot.

Per serving (8 servings)
Calories: 44
Carbohydrates: 5g
Fat: 2g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
Protein: 1g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Potassium: 100mg
Sodium: 510mg

No comments: