Monday, October 13, 2008

Almond Cookies

I don't normally buy shortening because I prefer baking with butter. My husband had requested some cookies that called for shortening so I had some left over. I searched the Crisco website and found these. I love the taste of almond extract in baked goods so I gave these a shot. They are very similar to the almond cookies that you may get at the end of a Chinese meal at a restaurant. I did not put the almonds on them. I even made them a second time and added some cherry extract as well. I gave them to three people and they all loved them.
Almond Cookies
1 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 1 stick Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening Sticks
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons almond extract
2 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
48 whole almonds
Makes 4 dozen

1. COMBINE shortening and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in egg and almond extract until well blended.
2. COMBINE flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Add to shortening mixture; blend well. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours.
3. HEAT oven to 350ºF. Roll rounded tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheets about 2 inches apart; flatten slightly with fingertips. Gently press an almond into center of each.
4. BAKE 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are just done but not brown. Cool on cookie sheet 4 minutes; transfer to cooling racks.

No comments: