Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Low Fat Blueberry Muffins















I have wanted to bake since starting my healthy eating plan. I decided that this was a good place to start. I changed up the recipe a bit. I thought they were good and my husband liked them because they were not too sweet. I would recommend spraying the muffin tins with cooking spray instead of putting them in liners because mine stuck to the liners.

Low Fat Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup non-fat milk
2 tbsp canola oil (I used Smart Balance)
1 large egg, lightly beaten (I used egg substitute)
1 cup blueberries (I used dried that were soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes , then drained)
Preparation:Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a nonstick 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper cups.
In a large bowl, stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. In a small bowl, combine milk, canola oil and egg.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add milk, oil and egg mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake 18-20 minutes until golden. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 12 muffins.
Per Muffin: Calories 137, Calories from Fat 26, Total Fat 2.9g (Sat 0.3g), Cholesterol 18mg, Sodium 159mg, Carbohydrate 24.3g, Fiber 0.9g, Protein 3.5g

No comments: